Life for the wheelchair-bound is much easier now than it was decades ago. Modern technology and awareness towards disability has allowed for the creation of contraptions and devices that enable you to live life normally. For those who are wheelchair-bound permanently or for the long term, finding a wheelchair vehicle for sale can make your life easier tenfold.
For the uninitiated, wheelchair access vehicles are just like ordinary vehicles, but have features that cater specifically to people on wheelchairs. This includes ramps to promote easier entry, transfer seats that swivel and move, and locks to keep the wheelchair securely in place while the vehicle is in motion. If you’re still having second thoughts, here are some reasons why you should invest in wheelchair access cars.
- Convenience – if your loved one is wheelchair-bound, trips might become a huge inconvenience to you. You have to escort your loved one on and off the vehicle, and ensure that they are safe and secure throughout the entire trip. However, with wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAV), there is less hassle and fuss. Now your loved one can even accompany you to short errands easily.
- Independence – If the wheelchair accessible car offers caretakers more convenience, it also offers independence for the wheelchair-bound person as well. Too often, people with disability often feel helpless and frustrated that they cannot handle simple day-to-day tasks. With a WAV, they require less management and supervision, and they gain a bit more control.
- Comfort – Most families convert their ordinary vehicle into a wheelchair accessible vehicle by simply taking one seat out to make room for a wheelchair. This is still very inconvenient because not only will you have to haul the wheelchair back and forth, traveling via wheelchair is not very comfortable. Throughout the entire ride, if there are no locks to hold the wheelchair in place, it can rock, swerve and tilt, making it an unpleasant experience for the user.
- Affordability – People often hesitate when they see a wheelchair vehicle for sale because of the price. True, it may cost more than the usual vehicle because of the additional features. However, most WAVs can be paid through a motability car or van scheme. Using your motability allowance, you can pay for the WAV slowly but surely.
- Style – Because of modern technology, it is now possible for a vehicle to be wheelchair friendly and stylish at the same time. You are probably familiar with the latest wheelchair designs that look very modern and slick. Wheelchair access vehicles are no different, and you can choose from a variety of models and brands.
- Functionality – Style is not the only thing people think about when they buy cars; functionality plays a big role as well. If you have a big family, you may want a Ford Tourneo Connect or a Volkswagen Caddy Maxi.
Be wary of random sites advertising a wheelchair vehicle for sale. Wheelchair access vehicles are a sensitive matter and should not be taken lightly. Get your own WAV only from reputable sources like Brotherwood, which is well-known in the UK for reliable and affordable wheelchair vehicles, both new and used. Find us at http://www.brotherwood.com.